Using the venue of the Second ICAO Meeting on Air Cargo Development in Africa which ICAO held in partnership with TIACA, Secretary General of TIACA Vladimir Zubkov organized a meeting with participation of Dr. Olumuyiwa Benard Aliu, President of the ICAO Council, Boubacar Djibo, Director of the ICAO Air Transport Bureau and ICAO Regional Directors Mam Sait Jallow and Barry Kashambo on the ICAO side, and Piet Demunter, Director Strategic Development and Steven Polmans, Head of Cargo & Logistics from the Brussels Airport Company.
The meeting gave an opportunity for the top aviation regulators to meet with the industry representatives and to exchange views on both: the African and the global issues.
The discussion centered around following items:
- How can ICAO further facilitate cooperation between all air cargo stakeholders to ensure that air cargo sector in Africa grows in an efficient, coordinated and sustainable way.
- Assistance to African airports in the introduction of the most efficient practices, like those used in Brussels airport with the “Airport Community” concept.
- Development of ICAO/TIACA joint programs for the promotion of the benefits which the air cargo evolution brings into the national economies.
- Fostering partnership approach to promotion and facilitating trade development in Africa through improvements in the air cargo policies. Include WCO for improvements in the customs procedures.
- Introduction of training programs which will be addressing not only operational levels but also level of the decision-makers
- Promotion of the new advanced methods, like electronic documentation, single window, etc
- More detailed report about the meeting will be published in the TIACA monthly letter.