LAN CARGO uplifts 9,400T of flowers

LAN CARGO and its affiliates transported more than 16 million bouquets (a total of 200 million flowers) during the four-week rush that leads up to St. Valentine’s Day, the time of year during which flower exports reach their peak.


400T of flowers LAN CARGO uplifts 9


LAN CARGO and its affiliates transported more than 16 million bouquets (a total of 200 million flowers) during the four-week rush that leads up to St. Valentine’s Day, the time of year during which flower exports reach their peak. Between 19 January and 8 February, the busiest weeks of the season, approximately 170 LAN CARGO and LAN CARGO Colombia freighters (10 per day) take off from Ecuador and Colombia, tripling the monthly average.

The Bogota-Miami route, which regularly transports 650 tonnes of flowers per week, the figure reaches 1,900 tonnes per week during the Valentine’s season. Freighters take off from Bogota, Medellin (Colombia) and Quito (Ecuador) and fly mainly to the US and the Netherlands. The majority lands in Miami where LAN CARGO owns the largest cold-storage warehouse operated by a foreign air carrier at an airport in the US.

Eighty per cent of Colombian and Ecuadorian flowers enter the US through Miami International Airport and out of that total, 60 per cent is kept in Florida while the remaining 40 per cent is transported — mainly by truck — to other cities, including New York, Los Angeles and Chicago.